I have been working on this song since the weekend. After listening to the recently released Atomic by Mogwai, I decided to try my hand at drums once again. With the help of Pete Davis' Programming Drums with Invalids tutorial, I wanted to do something like Atomic, and while still retaining some of that synth-y, melancholic feeling, as I was adding parts (such as vocals. So Say We All) I started moving towards a much brighter and optimistic melody, and for the first time that suits me just fine.
I hate to compare what I did to what Mogwai does. Those guys are amazing musicians, and I'm just trying my hand at it still. But even then, I'd say I started at Bitterness Centrifuge, and ended up somewhere in between Jim Guthrie's score for Sword & Sworcery, and Mogwai's own Two Rights Make one Wrong. After the break I want to list all the songs and albums that have inspired this.
- Mogwai's Atomic
- Folk Arp - Minor Victories
- Justo y Necesario - Fother Muckers
- Daft Punk's Discovery
- The Complete Vocal Collection from the Bubblegum Crisis score
- Two Wrongs Make One Right - Mogwai
- Jim Guthrie's ever lasting presence in my musical taste
- Battlestar Galactica's Admiral Adama.
- The rain.
- some solo from some song by Toe.
- Vangelis' score of Blade Runner.